The logo of the
When in 1635 king Louis VIII founded a "royal garden of medicinal plants", nobody could forsee its extraordinary future. The king's aim was medicine and pharmacy students would complete their theoretical knowledge with the study of plants in practice.
Under Buffon, who managed the garden from 1739 till 1788, the royal garden stimulated the study of nature sciences, chemistry and physics.
In 1793 the garden became a museum and in spite of the revolutionary years the collection was enriched. Later the museum was extended with a library, an etnography division, a zoological garden, etc.
The museum has 3 objectives:
Note: the need to conserve knowledge in a museum, in an encyclo-paedia, etc., is typical of 'The Enlightenment" period. The Enlightenment motto was: "knowledge is power".The logo:
the Phrygian cap (symbol of the French Revolution) crowns the logo, in 1793 designed by Gerard van Spaendonck after paintings of the king. The fauna is symbolized by the beehive, the snake and the Jacob's shell. The flora by the vine and the corn. The minarals by the cristals.
by Jan de Crom
taken from "The Postal Bee" 2/2000
Contact Group Bee Philately