Sainte Marie des Abeilles
On a French prepaid cover (date unknown) are shown three Roman chapels in the French village of Banyuls sur Mer (Mediterranian side of the Pyrenees).
The name of one of the chapels is Sainte Marie des Abeilles.
In the 12th and 13th Century the monastery St. Quirk de Culera attracted families, which took up residence on farms or country seats. One of these families was named Abeilles. Therefore the chapel, founded by this family, is called Sainte Marie des Abeilles.
The first mentioning of this chapel was in 1248 under the name "Sancta Maria de ses Abeylles".
by Jan de Crom
taken from "The Postal Bee" 3/2009
Contact Group Bee Philately